Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy 4th of July!



Tonight we celebrated our annual franco-american version of the 4th of July. We fire up the grill and cook hamburgers and hot dogs just like in the states. We bring out our flags - both the American and the French flag. Well, just a little different from the United States implementation.


The preparation is also not quite as simple as the US version for the celebration. One of those things that I still have not found in any of our grocery stores or bakeries is a package of hot dog rolls. On one hand the closest in terms of look is the packaged brioche roll, but this turns out to be sweeter in taste than is acceptable for the humble hot dog. We have tried baguette rolls, but the crunchiness of the roll is a far cry from the soft "traditional" hot dog roll. We end up resorting to use hamburger rolls with our hot dogs halved to fit the roll. The other missing ingredient is the sweet pickle relish. I used to bring back a jar with me on my trips back home, but now I have found I could make an acceptable substitute by chopping up "cornichons" (French pickles) and making my own homemade relish.



We have recently added fresh "corn on the cob" to our 4th of July menu. Another rarity in France, we have just found a store where we can buy OGM free corn. Will have to get into the explanation of "OGM free" in another post for my American friends who will find this concept a bit alien.

No comments: